Friday 17 November 2006

Gloom and Doom

I have finished reading ‘Ugly’ and it was an excellent read. I have read a number of books about hideous childhoods and it never fails to shock me that kids get treated in this way without anyone becoming suspicious. The lengths that abusive parents go to is sickening and it turns my stomach to think that abusive treatment of kids is still going on under our noses. I am now reading ‘Streetkid’ by Judy Westwater which is another tale of a hideous upbringing. This is set in my old hometown of Manchester so it somehow seems more relevant.

I hate driving home on these dark nights. I think I must have night blindness. The lights from oncoming vehicles just completely takes out my vision. I’m certain I’m going to hit a cyclist or pedestrian (we don’t have footpaths). By the time I get home my head is pounding and I’m a nervous wreck.

My boss mother passed away yesterday. Obviously I have never met her (mother) but I felt overwhelmingly sad when I was told. It was my job to let the rest of our management team know and I kept filling up everytime I told someone. Being a company credit card holder (I know I said I have no cards but this is a company card – not mine) I often have to order flowers for bereaved colleagues and I always get upset when doing it. Actually our place has had a unusually high number of bereavements lately. One girl had her husband commit suicide a few weeks ago – she is coming back to work on Monday – what do you say? Another lady had her son killed in a car accident last weekend. And there have been numerous other natural bereavements as well. Maybe I should start looking for another job!

3 comments:

Heather said...

That's pretty awful..you just have to be around to listen I suppose.

Sniffy said...

One lady had her son killed in a car accident? You know when you've been driving home, unable to see because of the glare of headlights from oncoming traffic? You haven't felt a bump have you?

I can't see a fucking thing most of time when it's dark and some cars have such ridiculously burn-your-retinas-out bright headlamps, I'm surprised I've never hit anything.

Perhaps I have.

itsmyparty said...

The only bump I've felt was when I hit a pheasant - the damn stupid birds are running amok down here.

Hi Heather - thanks for dropping in